July 30, 2017

WEEK 10

At the end of the day, by the time of presentation, the probability function was fully operational in the background of the prototype application Mari produced, and we were able to fully explain the reasoning behind what we did and how we chose to implement designs.

Looking back at this internship, I can see that it can been an interesting learning experience. The requirement of IRB submission was a challenge, and seeing the process of development was very good for me, I would say. I think the biggest thing I will take away from this internship, though, will be the idea that just because something is your inspiration does not mean it has to be your implementation. While BIGnav was the starting point, the final probability function was nothing like it, but it works better for these purposes. I am thankful for the opportunity I have had in being here, but I am so ready to go home!

Final Project Report

Advertisements
July 30, 2017

July 23, 2017

WEEK 9

We have been able to recruit some interviews from a mailing list at UIC, and from recommendations, and we are set to meet our goal number by the end of our study. Mari’s portion of the application is beginning to take shape, but mine is much less visible – you can’t really see a probability property on a functional map. However, I now understand the very basics of working with the Google Maps API, and I feel confident in my ability to finish the full implementation of the function into the map application by tomorrow evening. Our final project presentation is this Thursday, and I believe we will be ready.

July 23, 2017

July 16, 2017

WEEK 8

The interviews are coming in; it’s difficult to work on the function or prototype during the day while also doing interviews, because each interview takes about an hour or so, and to travel between each interview has the potential to take a lot of time.

Our setup with the GoPro harness on participant’s chest, pointing in “first person” at their mobile devices, has proven to be a great tool. From that angle, we can easily see exactly their movements, and in some ways experience their confusion.

I have also settled on a probability function, and I believe I am ready to begin digging into the API and Javascript.

July 16, 2017

July 9, 2017

WEEK 7

We have begun receiving calls from people who would like to participate, which is definitely good news, but of course we haven’t received near as many as our goal. The sketching and design of the application is coming along nicely from what I see Mari working on, but the API for Google Maps is daunting to say the least. I’ve been working out numerous different ways to use probability and directional commands as an indicator, by hand, to be certain I’m doing exactly what I think I’m doing. I have also begun preliminary coding in C++, though I will have to eventually implement it in Javascript so it can be guaranteed cross-platform. I have never used Javascript before, but I’ve been looking into the syntax and it doesn’t seem like it will be difficult to rewrite.

July 9, 2017

July 2, 2017

WEEK 6

Because the IRB has been approved, we have been placing flyers up at senior residence homes and other such facilities here in Chicago, hoping to find participants who are actively willing to contact us and go forward with the interviews. As far as the probability function goes, I have determined that the original function used by BIGnav is unsuitable for our uses, so I’m looking into other methods to see how I can still make the suggested points of interest probability related without relying on doing ‘experiments’ on the user. Jumping the view of a map around on a user – especially an elderly user – is definitely going to have the opposite of the desired results.

July 2, 2017

June 25, 2017

WEEK 5

This week, I was out of town tending to family business. While I was away, I made some headway on my portion of the project through research and such. The design for the entire project has gotten beyond just verbal and has been written down in parts. We also received word that the IRB proposal has been approved and we will be able to begin user studies as soon as I am back in the lab.

June 25, 2017

June 18, 2017

WEEK 4

First, let me say, Au Cheval here in Chicago is to die for. That is all.

So, in the last week Mari and I completed the IRB proposal for the project, of course with the help of our mentor. It is currently in the process of being reviewed, or at least it has been submitted. We have called a couple places trying to informally look into recruitment options for participants in our study if at all possible, but so far that hasn’t been very fruitful. We’ve also been making some connections and reaching out to find people who are more well versed in the process and get some steering in the right direction. Supplies have been found, and while we’re really excited to get started, we obviously can’t do too much before the project is approved (or rejected, but let’s not think about that).

June 18, 2017